This is the second article in the two-part Working with Your Manager series.
In my previous article, “Smart Strategy or Brown-Nosing,” you received the guiderails for building a successful business relationship with your manager. These rails were the beginning, not the end.
Are you committed to opening the door for greater career success?
Dare to open the door to greater opportunity.
Managing up is a Smart Strategy to realize beneficial results for you and your manager.
You can continue building a sustainable business relationship with your manager with these additional Smart Strategy actions:
Determine the Manager’s Needs and Values.
Don’t guess, ask. Seek answers to discover what your manager needs and values most professionally. If appropriate, explore personal values that bring into focus the whole person.
Discuss expectations regularly. It’s important to stay aware of your manager’s changing expectations and communicate yours, as well.
Share insight, along with information to influence important issues and decisions. Recognize when and how to share opposing viewpoints.
Develop a mutually respectful business relationship with your manager to fuel a platform of influence.
Contribute to Achieving Measurable Results.
There is an ultimate goal, results. You are positioned to contribute most effectively when you:
- Determine how success is measured, including standards for meeting and exceeding expectations.
- Establish a proven track record of achieving quantitative and qualitative outcomes.
- Present a problem, propose a solution.
- Adopt a “no surprises” situation management approach.
- Communicate early, often, and completely. This is especially important if there is significant negative business impact potential in a risk avoidance environment.
Reap Tangible Benefits.
The managing up Smart Strategy includes these four actions:
- Recognize what is important to the manager.
- Offer support and lend a hand.
- Determine the manager’s needs and values.
- Contribute to achieving measurable results.
By adopting the Smart Strategy, you:
- Create avenues to acquire sponsors or mentors through intentional business connections.
- Set yourself apart from peers with increased personal engagement.
- Establish an indisputable roadmap of success, elevating results and personal influence.
- Raise awareness of emotional information to appropriately guide thinking and behaviors.
When you authentically implement the Smart Strategy, watch your management interactions and career take a productive turn.
It’s often said that knowledge is power. That’s not always true. Applied knowledge is power and the cornerstone for career success.
Are you seeking a breakthrough in your career? Contact EndView Solutions today.